Sunday, May 16, 2010

Front Page..

Every time I log onto Etsy, I secretly wish to see one of my items on the front page. I feel like an outsider that desperately wants to get into the cool kids club where I can say 'My shop has been featured on the front page of Etsy!'.



I keep hearing that you need to have good pictures and a unique product. Well, I feel as if I have that, but I've noticed that a lot of the shops on there have a lot of sales as well (at least compared to me) so do I need to have high sales in order to be considered worthy?

I know there is some frustration going on about so-called front page favoritism, but I just want to get on there once. ONCE! Is that so much to ask?!

I know I'm not alone in this...I just needed to vent it all out. Thanks for listening/reading whoever you are.

2 comments:

  1. while i'm no expert, i've been on the front page once or twice & some of the treasuries i've made have made it too. (SOOOO exciting, i must admit) so here's some photo advice - again, only my personal opinion, so take it with a grain of salt:

    - i think your photos are great overall - clear & bright but the cropping of the main photo is sometimes off - if you can't see the pendant up close & center, then you need to crop.

    - the background of your photos competes with your pieces - both are fairly busy, with lots of textures visible... it would be much better to focus in on your work by using a plain background (white or light coloured cardstock works best). make sure the main focus is your piece & not the surroundings.

    - of course, it's great to see the pieces in various settings, so use all 5 photo slots. watch the front page & see what sort of photos make it there.

    personally, i think your work deserves a close-up (try the macro setting on your camera) crop so that you can see the lovely beadwork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! noticed how long - and late! - my comment is! just stumbled across your blog though & was reading through... sorry for the novel!

    ReplyDelete